Thursday, May 13, 2010

What Love Is...

When I was in high school, I had a huge crush on a boy who moved in. I found out that in the place he had lived previously, he'd liked this one girl so much that he had called into the radio station and dedicated a song to her. To me, that seemed like the pinnacle of love--the most public declaration a person could make. I thought, "That is what love is!" and mourned the fact he would never feel the same about me.
Since then, I've seen a lot more of what love is and I feel stunned and humbled by how much of it I receive and witness.

When my husband would hold back my hair and rub my back in the bathroom while I experienced terrible morning sickness, that was love.

When my younger son climbs into bed with my older son to sleep at night, that is love.

When my long-suffering friend doesn't mention it when I'm late for the 100th time, that is love.

When my sisters express confidence in me, despite having seen all my mistakes growing up, that is love.

When my mom went to the the hospital every day while my baby girl was in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit fighting for her life, that was love.
Even though mom couldn't make it through the doors to see my daughter because it was too hard for her to witness the struggle of a tiny, sick infant, that was love.

When my kids climb into bed with me to snuggle in the morning, that is love.

When my husband sits and watches "What Not To Wear" with me, that is love.

When my friend gives me the bracelet she won in a blogger's drawing, that is love.

When President Hinckley sat, flanked by his son and daughter at the funeral of his wonderful wife, and cried in lonely anguish, that was love. Just seeing the picture makes me cry.

I am feeling very grateful for my loving friends and family. Thank you for being so kind to me. What love do you see and receive?

1 comment:

Zoo Keeper Mom said...

Love is Anthony getting down on his hands and knees and scrubbing my kitchen floor till... well, till you can actually see that there is a floor under the mosaic of food free-fall my twins create continuously.

Love is a foot massage in bed at the end of a long day by a tired husband.

Love is being greeted by a big running hug and smile and yelling my name by my T-Bear, when I was only gone for a short errand.

Love is being told twice today by my 6 year old that I look nice.

Love is an all knowing Father in Heaven guiding me to pick up an Ensign from last year, and turn straight to an article with guidance perfectly fitted to the questions floating in my heart and mind.

Love is still being best friends after 8 years (since 1st date) and 4 kids (counting that lil chick before she is hatched, of course.)

I have to give a great big AMEN to your comments on the photo at Marjorie's funeral. LOVE it love it love it. So touching. She is my hero, as I have even blogged to say.. way back when.

Thanks for the good read! You ARE loved! Glad you feel it!